This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Have you wandered, how to make money with Rakuten?
It took me a while to join because I thought it was too good to be true. However, I am glad I eventually joined because I have made money.
Rakuten is a free site that allows you to earn cashback on your online and in-store purchases.
Note: Rakuten is formerly known as Ebates. However, the program is the same with some focus on in-store purchases.
How to sign up
On the site, you will see a sign-up form. This is a site with no membership or subscription fees.
Register using your Facebook account, Google account, or a different email address.
If you sign up through this link, they are currently offering a $10 signup bonus.
However, to receive the $10 signup bonus, you’ll have to make a qualifying purchase of $25 within 90 days.
How to Make Money With Rakuten
Rakuten has relationships with over 2,500 stores and offers discounts or cash back when you shop at these stores through Rakuten.com. Receive cashback when you click on the store link on the Rakuten site, shop and make a qualifying purchase.
When you’re ready to make an online purchase, just visit Rakuten and click through their link to your favorite retailer.
There are over 2500 Rakuten affiliate stores to choose from! Some of my favorite stores are Macys, Target, Amazon, American Eagle, Dicks Sporting Goods, Walgreens, Belk, Kohl’s, Old Navy, JCPenney, Bath and Body Works, and so many more.
You can get cashback on clothes, food, entertainment, health and beauty, travel and vacation and much more.
Related Posts: 25 Simple Ways to Make $500 Fast
Is Rakuten a Scam?
Many people always want to know if Rakuten is legit or a scam.
It is not a scam!
Rakuten is a real company, and follow up on their cashback promises.
- Ebates had been in business since 1999 and Rakuten was founded in 1997.
- Rakuten acquired Ebates in 2014
- Rakuten has had an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with hundreds of positive customer reviews on the BBB website.
- They are the largest, free member-based savings programs in the U.S.
- They have more than 12 million members signed up for the cashback program.
- They’ve paid out over $1 billion in cashback!
How does Rakuten work?
Rakuten saves you money by using a simple business model: Stores pay Rakuten a commission for sending members to shop at their websites. Rakuten then splits that commission with members, in the form of Cash Back.
You go to Rakuten.com, search for the store where you want to shop, click the “shop now” button, and shop at the online store where you normally would shop. Once you’ve made a purchase, a percentage of the purchase will be deposited in your Rakuten account.
For example, today (9/24/19), Rakuten is offering a 6% cash back for shopping at Gap and if you buy something for $200, you’ll receive a $12 cashback.
How Does Rakuten Make Money?
This may seem too good to be true. Rakuten is an affiliate for over 2,500 stores. Rakuten receives a commission for sending its members to the store’s website, and they, in turn, share the money with their members.
How does Rakuten Save You Money
Rakuten saves you money by finding the best deals, coupons, discounts, and promotions.
Daily Deals, Coupons, and Promo Codes
When shopping through Rakuten, you can still use coupons, promo codes, and discounts. When you click on the “Shop Now” button, available discounts are applied to your order. As an example, if I click on the Landsend shop now button next to the coupon I want, I will receive that discount.
If there is a discount out there that are not listed on Rakuten, enter it at checkout like you normally would receive that discount.
Double Cash Back
Rakuten Double Cash Back section offers amazing deals. The featured stores change so it is important to check this section quite frequently. To avoid missing a deal sign up for the Rakuten email list. This way you receive updates on the deals.
Rakuten Hot Deals provides a list of featured stores offering the best deals. You will find coupons, promo codes, buy online and pick up in-store, buy one get one free (BOGOs), free gifts, free shipping, and gift cards.
Travel and Vacations
Rakuten has you covered for your travel and vacations. They have partnerships with Airlines, Hotels, Cruises, Car Rentals, and Vacation Packages. Booking your flights, car rental, and hotels through Rakuten can get you discounts and cashback. It is a win-win!
Comparison Shopping with Rakuten
I don’t know about you but I always try to get the lowest price on whatever I am buying. Rakuten has made comparison shopping a bit easier. Search for the item you want to purchase and Rakuten will provide a list of stores and available discounts.
Rakuten Shopping Tools
To make the process as easy as possible, they also have a Rakuten Button for your web browser and a Rakuten App for your mobile devices.
It is so easy to forget to go through Rakuten if you don’t have the browser extension. There is a free Rakuten browser extension that you can add to the browser of your choice. The browser extension alerts you to the store discounts and promotions.
Once the extension is downloaded, you will no longer have to log into Rakuten each time you decide to shop. I find that I no longer leave free money on the table with this extension installed.
Rakuten app is another way to shop with IOS and android app. The Rakuten app makes it very easy to shop on your mobile device. Just like your laptop or desktop PC, the Rakuten app lets you browse over 2500 stores in the company’s database and shows the current cashback for each store.
How long does it take Rakuten to register a purchase?
Once you make a purchase, the cashback will show up in your Rakuten account within seven days.
Cash Back Payment Schedule
The balance in your account has to be greater than $5.00 to receive cashback. You are also required to have a valid address to receive payment. You then have the option of receiving a paper check mailed directly to the listed address or a payment deposited through Paypal.
The posting period is the amount of time it takes for Rakuten to receive their commission from the store(s) where you shopped.
Rakuten posting period and payment schedule are listed below:
Rakuten In-Store Merchants
Rakuten is known for just online shopping but that is changing gradually. You can receive cashback from Rakuten when you shop in-store with certain stores.
You will need to add a credit card to your Rakuten account to be able to take advantage of in-store offers. When you see a cashback offer for a store that you plan to use, add it through your Rakuten account, this will link directly to your credit card. When you shop at that store and use your linked credit card, you will receive cashback.
How to Make Money With Rakuten: The Pros
- Membership is free; sign up for free and earn a $10 welcome bonus in cash
- There’s no limit to how much Cash Back you can earn.
- There are no rebate forms to mail in or points to count—they just send you your Cash Back, no strings attached.
- Rakuten is a one-stop-shop. You no longer have to search for coupons before shopping. You shop with the coupons provided and also receive cash back at the same time.
- Earn up to 40% cash back on purchases at over 2500 online stores
- Members get paid on time through Paypal or a check
- Members don’t have to earn points to receive a cashback
- Rakuten is offering $25 for every person you refer who makes a $25 purchase. The new members who sign up and make a $25 purchase will receive a $10 gift card or Big Fat Check.
- There are various features and tools for members and many ways to earn cashback
- Plenty of bonus offers, hot deals, great discounts, promo codes, coupons and many more
- The Rakuten browser plugin is a plus and an added convenience.
How to Make Money With Rakuten: The Cons
Members can only earn cashback by starting a Shopping trip with Rakuten first. There are no retroactive earnings.
- Members can only earn cashback by starting a Shopping trip with Rakuten first. There are no retroactive earnings.
- Gift cards do not qualify for cashback. There are stores you can get cash back for a gift card purchase, however, I have not received cashback for any of my gift card purchases.
- Cashback percentages are always changing.
- On rare occasions, you find better coupons outside of Rakuten.
- Sometimes the tracking does not work. If this happens, fill out the form to request for your cashback.
Who Can Make Money on Rakuten?
Rakuten is for those that shop online. Why not take advantage of free cashback for buying what you would normally buy.
Rakuten might not be for you if you don’t shop online. However, you can take advantage of the store offers.
If you sign up through my link and make a purchase of $25 (through Rakuten), I will get a $25 commission from Rakuten and you will get a $10 bonus from Rakuten.
- Easy to use.
- Save and earn cashback
- Refer family and friends
Get signed up for your Rakuten account today, receive a $10 signup bonus and cashback rewards for purchasing the everyday items you already buy.
We’d love to hear how much you have saved with Rakuten in the comments below!
- What is ESL Certification? Why you need it and How to get it
- 10 Best Budget Planners To Master Your Money
- No Inventory Small Business Ideas
- 10 Incredible Jobs That Don’t Suck
- Novel Proofreading Jobs For Beginners
|How To Make Money Online |
Taking online surveys to make extra money is a no-brainer!
You won’t get rich or make hundreds of dollars per day with surveys alone, but you can make easy money this way.
Swagbucks: ($5 free signup bonus & free gift cards, discounts, and best-paying surveys.)
Survey Junkie: Take short, easy and selected surveys and get paid up to $3 – $75 per each survey. Signup here.
InboxDollars: Get paid to watch videos, play games, and shop online. $5 Signup bonus. One already made $75 within a week. Signup now.
Vindale Research: Up to $50 per survey & $0.50 per email. $5 per referring friends, sharing payment receipts. Join now for FREE.
MyPoints: Get paid to watch videos, play games, and shop online. $10 Signup bonus Sign up now.